Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Lunchroom Nazi's

Ahem ...... please excuse me for a minute while I drag out my soapbox........... Okay! Now that that's in place I can begin!

This little post came to be in part because of two friends on Facebook who posted a link to a story about a 4 year old girl who had her home lunch replaced by a school lunch because it was considered an "unhealthy" lunch. Well now, those of you who know me will realize that this kind of story would never get under my skin, not one little bit ........ ok, ok, YES it really did and I've been stewing over it all morning! I tried to comment on my friends Facebook walls but they just became novels and now here we are.  This is my reply:

When did it become the responsibility of someone else to parent my child? When did it stop being mine? Who is to say what is a healthy or unhealthy food choice? There are many opinions out in the world so who was the "All Knowing Crown of Healthy Food Choices" placed on? I never saw that story hit the Yahoo! headlines. (Shhhhhh..... that IS where I get my news source from but don't tell anyone! I live in Japan! What do you expect?) It probably wouldn't have riled me so much except that another friend who did post a reply stated that she received a notice from her child's preK-K school that informed them of the same policy of policing the children's lunches and then supplementing or replacing "unhealthy" food for "healthier" food. Well, THAT did it! Which then got my brain to thinking and this was the general direction it took.

So, we are now policing and overhauling children's lunches. Replacing food sent from home and giving them food deemed healthier. Here's a question: What if the child doesn't like the healthier food? Would they still have to eat it? If so, how would this be accomplished? If not, then what was the purpose of replacing it? But let's get back to the how to make them eat it. If they are forced to eat it but choose not to what is the consequence? Do they have to sit in the lunchroom until they do? Doesn't that force them to be sedentary? Aren't we getting harped on as parents that children are living a more sedentary life?

So, if they are forced to stay in the lunchroom until said healthy food is eaten then it only follows that they miss recess or if we want to be technically correct, exercise time! Oh dear, now we've crossed into another realm of regulation. We can't restrict exercise! Wouldn't a parent be well within his or her rights to demand that their child have the right to exercise? And if that right is taken away, then who's to blame there? Would the school then need to employ someone to monitor the "exercise" time of each child and make sure they were getting the proper amount of exercise. Because the way I see it, and have heard from "the authorities", exercise is JUST as important as healthy eating! I can see no other option for the school. They MUST have an exercise nazi along with the lunch box nazi!  *Sigh* I should have been a lawyer.

Oh no! I've just discovered another problem. What do we do with the kids who don't exercise during recess? What about those who socialize? Those who SIT in small groups talking to each other?  Here again, we see the need for the exercise nazi. Well, that clinches it folks, we will now begin seeing exercise nazis in our schools. Isn't this fun!?

I LOVE America! The land of the free and home of the brave. I'd hope that we are the home of the free and the brave. Brave enough to stand up for what is right and that is OUR RIGHTS! It is MY right to be a parent and with the right comes the RESPONSIBILITY of raising that child. It is MY right to determine what beliefs my child will be raised with, what values my child will be taught and I hope that THIS right will continue but it can only happen if I am brave and choose to stand up for what is right when that right has been questioned.

Alrighty, time to put the soapbox away! Thanks for listening. Now for those of you who are in need of realistic looking "healthy" food options that should pass the lunchbox Nazi at your school. I can probably hook you up. Japan IS the capital of plastic food! Give me a jingle and we'll see what we can do!



1 comments:

Angie said...

That article made me so mad too. Mostly because my child is so picky, that I've had phone calls from his teacher asking me about his lunch. He won't eat meat, he will only eat certain kinds of cheese, only certain fruits, absolutely no vegetables, and he will throw up if you try and put anything he doesn't deem edible in his mouth. Now, tell me how I'm supposed to have the "appropriate" lunch for a child like that? I do the best I can, and I will guarantee if they ever try to make him eat a school lunch I will turn into mamma bear and bring out the big guns! It's so frustrating how society is making it harder and harder, and scarier for parents to be parents. Sigh.